Monday, January 12, 2009

Lesson #11


(Some many recognize this as the quote associated with the movie The Mysterious Case of Benjamin Button; I heard it through advertisements for the movie.)

Story behind this photo: Every other year, I go to Texas and stay on a ranch. It's been a family tradition since before I was born. This chair is in the cottage we stayed in last year, which had more than enough room for all of us.

I finally got to choose my own room this year at the cottage. I haven't really been deprived of this right, and we've never gone to this cottage so I've never had an undesirable room, however it's always exciting to get the first pick when it comes to decisions like that. Plus, it goes along well with one theme from my summer: Learning to stand up for my decisions, and not care for others and their feelings so much that I forget to care about my own.

A series of events caused me to look backwards on my life and think things like, "I should have said how I was feeling," "I shouldn't have volunteered to do that," and "that was really miserable, why did I do that?"

Someone on the ranch at Texas told me that I had been overextending my generosity.

What?! I thought.

But she was right! I had put so much emotional energy into pleasing somebody that I forgot that I needed to be happy, too. I've had a much better balance since then. I do things that are good for other people, but I keep my own feelings in check.

I'm also reading this really great book, You Can Be Happy No Matter What. I love it!

1 comment:

LoveANewIdea said...

Love the quote - love the blog...nuff said.